Monday, 15 September 2014

Out of Africa


Gooday,

I have been back home for one week from visiting Uganda.
I could not be blamed for thinking that I was on another planet.
Thousands of people, cars, taxis and motor bikes, all trying to get to their destination without killing anyone.

One week before I left Oz I spent 3 days in hospital here in Stanthorpe so when I left for Brisbane airport I was 95% good.
But after 24 hours in the air, I hour through customs at Entebbe airport, in hours drive to my destination I reckon I was 85%.
Two weeks later I had shared 12 messages, travelled hundreds of kilometres, confronted a few challenges, met some top class people and all up had a very rewarding time.
Since arriving home I have had an email from my Ugandan pastor friend who has reported that already there is fruit amongst those in the congregation.

In Oz we are of the habit of having ministry programme outlined in a detailed way but the African way is to give scant info and drop the surprise on one when one arrives at the destination.
An example: I was told that tomorrow the young pastor named Peter And I would be attending a pastor's conference. I thought that this would be a bonus where I could meet other pastors.
But in his next breath Peter said, "You are the speaker at the conference".
At least I had  24 hours notice.

Paul the Apostle of Jesus made the statement, "When I am weak then I am strong".
I discovered again that when I felt inadequate and weak The Holy Spirit spoke to the listeners with great effect.

Perhaps the most powerful memory that I have is, after we had spent many hours travelling to an outstation village for three days in a row, the pastor through h an interpreter said to me that he is surprised that a person of my 70 years would travel so far to come to Uganda to share with the people
but even more outstanding was that I would travel to his small village so far out of Kampala to share with them there. So you see, there is a place for those in older years to touch the lives of needy people in other cultures.

Finally, With me came a camera man and his wife Colin and Robyn.Col did many interviews and videod many aspects of Ugandan life. He will be putting together a DVD of the trip for deputation purposes. If you would like to see it when it arrives please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment